- 1/2 package of bacon (low salt)
- 1 lb. of ground pork (can be substituted with ground chicken or turkey but isn’t as flavourful)
- Spices for the ground pork: 1 tbsp each of oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder, and 1-2 tbsp red chili pepper flakes (if you like a bit of heat like me, I use ¼ cup) GASP…
- 3 large potatoes or use multi-coloured small potatoes, diced (the smaller the dicing, the faster it cooks)
- 1/2 large onion
- 3–5 cloves of garlic (depends on your love of garlic)
- chicken broth: carton or cubes
- 1 bundle of kale
- 2–3 cups of milk, I use 3.25% or higher for a thick base (add 1 cup at a time and taste)
- In a deep pot, fry the ground pork. Add oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and red chili pepper flakes, until pork is cooked through. Turn heat down. I cook all of the pork but use only half in the soup and freeze the other half for making more soup another day.
- At the same time, chop up the package of bacon and fry it in a separate pan.
- Chop the 1/2 onion and put it in a large pot. Add the potatoes (when using small potatoes I chop them smaller so they cook faster) minced garlic, and chicken broth. Add water to the pot if you use the chicken broth cubes, if not, then use the broth to boil the potatoes and onions. Use just enough broth/water to cover the potatoes and a bit extra for good measure. (Don’t you hate it when recipes are vague? LOL)
- While the above is cooking, wash the kale thoroughly and tear it into bite-sized pieces, discarding the stems. Add all of the kale to the potato/onion/garlic pot before the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Everything should be ready at the same time. Add half of the pork to the potato/garlic/onion/kale pot. Add bacon. Add milk and adjust to taste. I don’t like it too milky and like to keep the hot and spicy flavour so I don’t dilute it too much.
- Let simmer until the broth is hot and the kale is soft.
- Serve up and try not to eat the whole pot in one sitting! My mouth is watering as I type this recipe!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: comfort food, soup, kale, bacon